2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 pound butter, melted
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
Zest of two lemons
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 300°
2. Mix flour, powdered sugar and butter in a bowl to form the shortbread crust.
3. Press crust into a 9” X 13” pan and bake for 20 minutes.*
4. While crust is cooking, mix granulated sugar, baking powder, eggs and zest in a bowl to form the lemon filling. Reserve lemon juice to the side.
5. After the crust has baked 20 minutes, incorporate the lemon juice into the filling mixture. Pour over hot crust.
6. Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes.*
7. Let shortbread cool completely, then cut into squares.
Yields 12 squares
*Since ovens vary, add five minutes as necessary if crust has not formed or batter is not set after 20 minutes.