16 U/10 sized sea scallops,cleaned
12 16-count fresh local shrimp, shelled and de-veined
11/2 cups farro
1 bunch asparagus, tips only
2 T. basil, chopped
1 shallot, diced
1/4 cup white wine
1 lemon, juiced
2 tsp. saffron threads
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 T. Butter
YIELDS 4 SERVINGS
1. Cook the farro by soaking in water for 20 minutes, then place on high heat until boiling. Turn heat to medium and simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until the farro is tender. Strain and cool.
2. Blanch asparagus by placing tips in a pot of boiling, salted water. Cook 2-3 minutes, then strain and shock in ice water; reserve.
3. Place heavy cream in a bowl and add saffron. Set aside.
4. Place saucepan on high heat, and with a small amount of oil, sear scallops (with salt and pepper on both sides) 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove scallops and turn heat down to low-to-medium heat. Add shallot and cook for one minute. Add white wine and reduce until almost gone. Add cream and saffron mixture and reduce until it coats the back of a spoon. Season and whisk in one tablespoon of butter, then add lemon juice.
6. In a separate sauté pan on medium-high heat, add butter, then shrimp. Cook for one minute per side. Add asparagus, season, then add farro and season again. Toss in basil and remove the pan from heat.
7. Place a small amount of sauce on plates, then pile the farro mix on top. Put four scallops around the farro.